Easy to wear all-over lid color
I have this product in the shade Kitten, one of Stila's best-known shades. It's a shimmery pinky nude and works great as everything from an all-over color to a highlight shade. The packaging is not to die for, it's a plain black snap-close shadow case but it feels fairly secure and durable. The product itself is a powder with a cream texture and applies easily and evenly. I love using this as an all-over lid color for everyday makeup looks.
Favourite Neutral Shimmer Eyeshadow.
Kitten is my current favourite neutral shimmer eyeshadow. It is extremely soft and the payoff is amazing. It can have a small amount of fallout but is easily cleaned up. The colour is very unique and clearly it's not just me that's in love with it. Although it is expensive, it is a large pan so you get a lot of product in there. So I believe it's worth the money. (:
Meh for how expensive it is.
It doesn't suck, but it isn't mind blowing. Plus, it's expensive.
For a single pan, container sold separately, with major fallout if not used correctly - these e/s aren't really worth it in my opinion.
- Expensive for what it is.
- For a refill alone, it costs $18 USD w/o tax. That's 4 USD+ > than a MAC e/s that does come with a container.
- I can't seem to find a way to justify spending that much. I like the colour, but the packaging and the price hamper my liking.
- This is what kills me. The packaging is plastic (like that of a coastal scents hot pot) but is kept in a flimsy, cardboard casing.
- These e/s are bigger than a MAC e/s so they don't fit into typical e/s palettes.
- They are also not already magnetized which is odd to me because for the price they're at, they should at least have some sort of magnet.
Quality & Formula:
- Most, if not all, of their e/s are shimmery which is nice for people who like it, but I much prefer satin or matte colours.
- Kitten is a unique colour. Beautiful, actually, but there can be quite a bit of fallout, as expected for something shimmery.
- Comparable to MAC? Colour-wise - no, I think their e/s have colours not exactly like MAC and very pretty. Formula-wise - I would choose MAC e/s over this.
Would I recommend it?
- Yes and no, that's why it's "Meh."
- Yes, because I feel that some of their colours are unique and different than other e/s.
- No, because I feel that their e/s could be duplicated or are similar to other e/s and the price is ridiculous for just a refill that can't even fit into universal palettes.
Beautiful shimmery neutral
"Kitten" by Stila is a beautiful neutral that is shimmery and has a touch of pink and bronze. I was looking for a base coat that was neutral, but different than shimmery white or cream. This is a great color for those that are trying to make eyes pop, without using bright colors.
With a medium size brush I sweep "kitten" on my entire lid. I put a tiny bit of water on a thinner brush and and apply "kitten" to my upper and lower lash line. I use the thinner brush to concentrate the color and precisely, line eyes.I use "copper" on the crease. I finish the look off with black liner on upper and lower lid and use two coats of black mascara.
I love that "Kitten" can be used as base shadow and instantly awakens eyes. Since the shadow has pink and brown tones, it flatters ones complexion. I like that the Stila shadows don't crease and are easy to apply.
In comparison, to Maybelline or Revlon eyeshadows, Stila has shadows that last all day and don't crease. The color palettes are shimmery and easily applied. I also like that Stila's eye-shadows are complimentary to one another.
I would highly recommend these shadows to those that want to try a new shade for their base coat. Stila's shadows don't crease and go on the eye, like butter. I will continue to buy this great product.
Here, frosty frosty....
Be forewarned. This product is frosty. Not shimmer, F.R.O.S.T.
That said, I still like it, but it's not for everyone. I'd describe it as a frosty peach beige. I don't think Kitten is appropriate for all ages, but if you like or can pull off a heavily textured shadow, go for it! It's one of those universal shades that matches with anything ;)
***Please see my review on Barefoot Contessa for a general overview of Stila Eye Shadows