Lucas' Papaw Ointment Lip Balm$8.95
About Lucas' Papaw Ointment Lip Balm
More than 100 years ago, Aussie doctor Thomas Lucas started making homeopathic remedies using the antibacterial, antimicrobial papaw fruit (aka Carica papaya)—this is one of his original products. It can do almost anything, from protecting skin against the elements and healing chapped lips and cuticles to diminishing blemishes and relieving eczema. And it’s also beloved by makeup artists, who keep a tube in their kits to use as a subtle highlighter or to add sheen lashes and brows.
In an interview with Brisbane Times, Kevin Talbot, fourth-generation Lucas manufacturer, said, “Lucas’ Papaw has more than a cult following now; everyone wants it.” Rose Byrne, Miranda Kerr, and Cate Blanchett all swear by it. “It just works,” said Talbot.
The ingredients include fermented papaw fruit and pharmaceutical-grade petroleum (a milder and non-comedogenic form of the petroleum found in, say, Vaseline). The consistency is similar to most petroleum products, with a slightly milky smell that’s not at all unpleasant.
Why It’s Special
- The ointment temporarily relieves the symptoms of dermatitis and eczema.
- The ointment has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties and can be used as a local topical application on the following: minor burns & scalds, sunburn, gravel rash, cuts & minor open wounds, nappy rash & chafing, splinters & thorns, and insect bites.
- Carica Papaya 39 mg Fresh Fermented Fruit: The papaya is grown fresh in Queensland and is hand-selected to be fermented to make the ointment. The finished product contains 0.1 mg/g of Potassium Sorbate which acts as a preservative.
- Pharmaceutical Grade Petroleum Jelly and Wax: It is a pharmaceutical grade base that is tested and screened for the level of total polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Penreco USP grade Petrolatums are not mutagenic or toxic to reproduction.
- Size: 15 g
- Federal Drug Administration, European Pharmacopeia, and Therapeutic Goods Administration Approved
- Palm Oil-Free
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate-Free
IngredientsWe don't have ingredient data available for this item.
Shipping & ReturnsFree Shipping
Beautylish offers free shipping to the U.S. on all orders $35 and up. For all other orders, we offer $5 flat rate shipping.Fast Delivery
We ship using FedEx Express (2 business days from order shipment date) and FedEx Ground (3-5 business days from order shipment date).Satisfaction Guaranteed
If you are less than completely satisfied with your purchase, you may return your order within 60 days (from the delivery date) for a full refund. We'll cover the cost of return shipping within the U.S..
ReviewsAdora R. Feb 15, 2019
HOLY GRAIL- the only lip balm I use
This is a product I absolutely swear by! I don't know why, but I tend to get some seriously major insect bites on my body and just applying a little bit of this helps to calm my skin down. It is also really great at intensely moisturizing joints without being sticky- just be sure to not use too much! ( I'd recommend taking a small amount and warming it up in your fingertips to help thin it out a little bit). Lastly, it works so well on chapped lips; my lips have been worse lately because I'm on acutane, so having this has helped so much. Use quite a generous amount so that it really masks the lips and softens the skin. My mom loves this stuff too and she has sensitive skin, just like me.4 found this helpful.K S. Nov 08, 2018
I’ve used it a few times now and I’ll say it does give a nice sheen (not sticky). It seems to soak into my lips rather quickly (I’m not dehydrated!), though it does make them softer. I think of this more as an alternative to aquaphor with better ingredients. If you’re looking for something super hydrating or a sleep lip mask there’s better alternatives. I’ll keep this as a back in case I lose my favorite lip mask.4 found this helpful.M T. Apr 19, 2019
One of my favorites
I really like The Lucas Papaw Ointment and was thrilled to see the lip balm tube. This product is amazing! I use it as an overnight lip treatment but have also used it as a cuticle balm. It has really helped my chapped lips during the cold weather months. This size is a must-have in my handbag.3 found this helpful.